Khoresh Gheymeh Recipe | Persian yellow split peas Stew
Khoresh Gheymeh Recipe Khoresh Gheymeh (Ghimeh stew) is one of the Iranian dishes. This dish combines yellow split peas, lamb or beef, and potatoes. Ghormeh …
Kashke Bademjan Recipe | Persian Eggplant Dip
Kashke Bademjan Recipe Today at Takrecipe, we bring you another dish from Persian cuisine. Kashke Bademjan is an easy vegetarian dip made from some basic …
Kookoo Morgh Recipe | Persian Chicken Frittata
Kookoo Morgh Recipe Kookoo Morgh is one of the simple and delicious Iranian dishes. This dish combines chicken, eggs, garlic, onions, parsley, and potatoes. Kookoo …
Tahchin Morgh Recipe | Saffron Rice Cake with Chicken
Tahchin Morgh Recipe
Today at Takrecipe, where we bring the world’s flavors to your kitchen, we are thrilled to share the recipe of the famous Tahchin Morgh. Tahchin Morgh, also known as crispy Persian saffron rice cake, is a popular traditional Persian delicacy well-known for its flavor and crispiness. It is a rice cake cooked with chicken, yogurt, saffron, and basmati rice. Popular in Iranian cuisine, the dish is frequently served as the main meal for festive events, including weddings, birthdays, and religious festivals.
The layer of cooked rice that forms a crunchy crust at the bottom of the pot is referred to as “Tahchin” in Farsi, which roughly translates to “arranged at the bottom” in English. The main ingredient in the recipe is chicken, or “Morgh,” as it is known in Persian. The chicken is often marinated in a combination of yogurt, saffron, and other spices before being served on top of the rice.
The use of saffron, an expensive spice made from the saffron crocus flower, is one of the distinctive characteristics of Tahchin Morgh. Persian cuisine has valued saffron for thousands of years due to its unique flavor and aroma. Iranian cuisine frequently uses it to flavor rice dishes, stews, and desserts. Yogurt, another necessary component of Tahchin Morgh, is also used to tenderize the chicken and flavor the meal. Iranian food frequently contains yogurt, used in stews, dips, and marinades, among other savory meals.
The preparation of Tahchin Morgh may be time-consuming and requires adequate culinary skills. Typically, the rice is parboiled, combined with saffron and other spices, and then put on the base of a pot. After that, a second layer of rice is placed on top of the chicken, which has been marinated. The pot will be covered and cooked over low heat when the rice is soft, and the bottom is crispy. When the food is finished cooking, it is often flipped onto a plate to reveal the bottom layer of crispy rice. Finally, the chicken is placed on top of the rice, and chopped nuts and herbs are added as finishing touches.
In addition to its delicious flavor and crispy texture, Tahchin Morgh is a nutritious dish high in protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients. It is an excellent meal for those looking for a healthy and satisfying dish full of flavor and texture.
Tahchin Morgh has a long history in Iranian cuisine and has been enjoyed for centuries. It is believed to have originated in the city of Shiraz in southern Iran, which is known for its rich culinary traditions. Over time, the dish has become famous throughout Iran and is now considered a national dish.
Iranian cuisine also holds cultural importance for Tahchin Morgh. Weddings, Eid Fitr (the conclusion of Ramadan), and Norouz (the Persian New Year) are just a few occasions when it is frequently offered. It is a dish associated with joy, celebration, and hospitality, and it is often served as a symbol of friendship and unity.
Another reason Tahchin Morgh is so prevalent in Iranian cuisine is that it is an adaptive food that can be altered to fit a range of tastes and preferences. Some people could add veggies to the dish, such as carrots, peas, or potatoes, while others would add nuts, like almonds, pistachios, or walnuts, to improve flavor and texture. Others might also choose to swap out the chicken for lamb or beef, depending on their tastes.
Tahchin Morgh is still a meal that takes considerable expertise and talent to produce, despite its popularity. It is frequently passed down within families from one generation to the next. The meal comes in a wide variety that reflects regional and individual distinctions in flavor and flair. Tahchin Morgh has gained popularity in restaurants and among home chefs in recent years due to an increasing interest in traditional Iranian food.
Overall, Tahchin Morgh is a staple of Iranian cuisine and an unforgettable and distinctive meal. Although it takes some time and works to prepare, the meal is worth it in the end. Tahchin Morgh is a meal that is sure to please your taste buds and leave you wanting more, whether you enjoy Persian food or are just seeking to try something new. Keep reading to discover how to make this delightful rice cake.
Tahchin Morgh Recipe
- 3 Cups Basmati rice
- 1 Large chicken breast
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 1 Medium onion
- 2 Yolk
- 1 tbsp Rose water
- 50 g Butter
- 100 g Barberry
- 1 tsp Powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp Brewed saffron
- 4 tbsp Slivered almonds and pistachios
- To taste Cinnamon (optional)
- To taste Black pepper
- To taste Turmeric
- To taste Salt
- Put the barberries in a water-filled bowl and soak them for 20 to 30 minutes to rehydrate.
- Wash the chicken meat and take the skin off. Then add the chicken meat, a pinch of turmeric, cinnamon, and largely sliced onion to a pot, pour two cups of water, and put the pot on medium heat to simmer. You should remove the foam produced on the surface while simmering.
- Let the chicken absorb the water completely. This will enhance the taste of the chicken and let it absorb all the seasoning flavor. Then let it cool down a little and shred it into small pieces. You can also use leftover chicken or turkey for Tahchin.
- Put the shredded chicken in a pan coated with a bit of liquid oil and sauté it. Add turmeric, cinnamon, and black pepper to the chicken breast and continue sautéing until the chicken is well cooked. Then set the chicken aside.
- Put a pan on medium heat and add butter. Melt the butter in the pan, add powdered sugar, slivered nuts, and soaked barberries and candy them. Then mix them with the chicken.
- Add the yolks to a mixing bowl and beat them until frothy. Now add yogurt and brewed saffron to the yolks and whisk them to get mixed. Be sure to remove white from eggs since they will harden the rice cake. On the other hand, using less than the recommended amount of yolks will loosen your Tahchin, which increases the possibility of falling apart.
- Now add the drained rice to the yogurt mixture and stir it thoroughly until the sauce goes all over the rice.
- Once the Tahchin is all stirred up, add butter or oil to a suitable pot. When the butter melts, add a tablespoon of brewed saffron to the oil and swirl the pot to ensure the oil coats all over the bottom of the pot and about a couple of centimeters up the walls.
- Divide the rice mixture into half and put one part on the bottom of the pot. Then press it slightly and put a layer of the chicken and barberries mixture over the bottom. Then top it with the remaining rice mixture and press it to make an even surface. This strategy will help you to have a rice cake with chicken in the middle.
- Now put the lid on the pot, place it on medium-high heat, and let it cook for 5 minutes. Once you see steam rising and your lid start sweating a little bit, wrap the lid with a kitchen towel and put the lid on. Now reduce the heat to low and let it cook for 45 minutes.
- For flipping the pot over your serving platter, firstly prepare a shallow cold water bath in the kitchen sink, uncover the pot, and transfer it into the bath. This will separate the pot from your Tahchin. Then place a large serving platter on your pot and flip it over. There you have it. Garnish it with slivered nuts and barberries, and serve yourself a slice. Enjoy!
The calories of tahchin are between 450 and 550 per serving. In other words, this food has about 200 calories per hundred grams.
Bake in the oven
You can also bake this rice cake in the oven. For this purpose, preheat the oven to 180 Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit. Then grease a heat-proof container with oil and layer up the ingredients the same as above. Then cover it with foil and place it in the oven for an hour until it is ready.
- Thanks to :
- mobi_lifestyle |
- fingerfood_ani |
Thanks for this perfect recipe. This food is really delicious.